Follow me here

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Chicago Tribune Quotes

Jeff as quoted in the June 20, 1997 Chicago Tribune from an interview done shortly after an Uncommon Ground show February 7 or 8, 1994.
By Greg Kot
Submitted by Ana

"It's all about getting to a place where I can let my deepest eccentricities out, I just see things a little differently and express myself a little differently and I think it's because I haven't been in one place for very long. So I was seen from my childhood as hyperactive, homosexual, weird, insane, obnoxious, offensive, funny. . . . It's a tremendous point of pain, my inability to relate to the status quo.

  "Moving to the East Side from California was the most extreme and successful self-rescue operation I'd ever implemented, Otherwise I was going to rot from the inside. It was do or die. I've always done music, been in bands, but at the time I was staring at the walls, with no hope and no confidence. New York is stinking with industrial waste, but it's also stinking with purpose.
  "I am a storyteller, lounge singer, I am the entertainer, I am the rock star, I am gay, I am wrong, I am there for the story to go down, the cocktail host-shaman, the little romantic chanteuse wanna-be. All the men hated my Judy Garland jacket (trying to explain the cover of Grace).
  "Sometimes it's life-affirming to say you want to kill yourself, because I've felt that way, that I'm useless, a withered old flower, but there's something murkily beautiful about living this life, and to recognize it and sing about it is tremendously nutritious. . . . That's why when I go see a movie or a play or a concert I want to be ripped apart, to witness something that totally sucks the life out of you. I want to be dashed on the rocks. That's what I'm going for when I make music."

No comments:

Post a Comment