Follow me here

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Meeting: The Grace of Jeff Buckley

Le Progrès, February 12, 1995
by Thierry Meissirel
Translated by me

  He arrived quietly, with a large glass of coffee in his hand, and collapsed into an armchair in the backstage area of the B52. He'd obviously rather have gone for a shower and a sandwich. But he put on a good show and immediately put his interlocutors at ease: a few transfixed fan-interviewers, hesitant English.
  Bombarded as the "future of rock 'n' roll" and author of the best debut album in five years by all the trendy rockers, Jeff Buckley has managed the miracle of not giving in to the pressure. "I will have really succeeded, as you say, when a next album will be recorded. And success is what interests me." Although he admits he doesn't write on tour, Jeff Buckley has forged himself a real, close-knit group that allows him to work on his writing in a more collective way. "Most of Grace's songs were written when I was playing alone. But it's a coincidence: I've been in a band longer than I've been alone with my guitar."
  Yet it was while playing alone in a bar in his adopted city, New York, that Tim Buckley's son was discovered by the bigwigs of the record industry. After recording this much praised debut album "in the worst studio in the world" he embarked on a world tour. "Apart from the guitarist, who I recruited by making him lose his job, the other musicians were fans who came to offer their services. And the power came on right away." This was followed by a series of concerts in the USA, then in Japan. "Every show is different. I don't have a very precise song order. I like to change every night."
  When asked how he survived the onslaught of raucous rave reviews of his album, he simply evokes-angrily-the famous American journalist who wore him down in the Village Voice: "album without a unit, too diverse, he said." And a young journalist from a fanzine, who covered him with praise when he played alone in front of twenty people and who didn't have harsh enough words when Grace came out. "She found him overproductive, emphatic, heavy."
  While he got some hurtful criticism, Jeff Buckley still had some reason to be pleased. This way he was able to meet his masters: Dylan, Lou Reed...and Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. And the two former Led Zep members offered him the first part of their world tour. "It's a great honour. But I can't. I don't want to play in front of huge halls or stadiums. If Plant and Page were playing B52, I'd want to, but if not, I'd rather go to sleep..."
  If he's dreaming of resting, he's still a long way off. After a European tour, he will have to work on his second album. A real challenge: "I'll try to write happy songs."

No comments:

Post a Comment