Follow me here

Monday, December 28, 2020

Nusrat after-show hang

Kenosha News: February 9, 1996

  Here we have JEFF BUCKLEY's synopsis of the after-gig hang as practiced by Pakistani qawwali master NUSRAT FATEH ALI KHAN (who recently collaborated with EDDIE VEDDER on two songs for the Dead Man Walking soundtrack): "We went to this greasy spoon Punjabi diner (after Nusrat's New York show at Town Hall) and just drank tea and talked. Nusrat's ensemble was watching low-budget Punjabi comedy shows and reading the news." Enamored of the Buddha-like singer, a wide-eyed Buckley couldn't get a hold of himself. "I love him, I'm in awe of him; what can I do?" What inspired this effusiveness, you ask? "They turned me on to this sweet, gummy tobacco wrapped in grape leaves. Your head spins-like smoking 12 packs of cigarettes at once."

No comments:

Post a Comment