Follow me here

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Work Is Love In Action


  So it was the early 1990s and I lived in Newtown Sydney with a bunch of interesting characters, although one of the girls was very prim and proper. Her father worked as a journalist for one the top, well respected newspapers. She asked me if I would like to see a secret performance Buckley was having in the city. I was like Yessssssssss!!!!!!!!! By that stage I was madly in love with his music and he was very easy on the eyes too! She seemed a bit surprised my reaction.
  We went to the performance with our secret passes. There weren't too many people there-maybe 50?? I bought my mini tape recorder with me and secretly taped the performance. I still have it somewhere...
  So he came out looking so beautiful. He sang so beautifully. He joked around a bit in between songs. I was on cloud 9. My friend had no expression on her face (usual for her). Afterwards, we were told that if we wanted to meet him, to bring our cd and he would sign it. I lined up eagerly but my friend went home because she wanted to watch Melrose Place!!?!? I thought she was insane!
  So we all lined up. mostly girls but some guys. I had forgotten to bring my cd. All I had was a notebook. I noticed the people in front of me got their cd signed, a quick word or two and off they went. When I met him (I was in complete awe of course!) He was quite delicate looking but so handsome. I asked if he could sign my notebook. He asked for my name, wrote it down, spelt it correctly-which is amazing (dee laurel is not my real name), wrote a quote and signed it. I said "It's so great to meet you". When I told him, he took my hand in his, looked into my eyes and told me how great it was to meet me!! The girls were burning all around me and called me a b*&%#h. I made friends with the girl behind me and she said that he only had that interaction with me and no one else!! I guess I must have looked ok that day! lol I didn't wash my hand for a week!
  This all happened the first time he toured Australia. I went to his concert by myself. I was right up the front. He sang every song so incredibly!!! Perfect!! Anyway, he dived into the audience and all the girls stupidly (including myself) moved out of his way and he hit the ground!!! I said to the girls around me, "Quick! Pick him up!!" So we did and put him back on stage!!!
  So that was all incredible. My musician brother told all of his friends and when they saw me it was like "Respect."
  The second time Buckley came out...was a disaster. He was playing close to a venue to where I lived so I walked up there. Of course I was at the front. It was so disappointing and so awful that I actually left early and walked home really sad. He seemed to be off his face and sang and played guitar really badly. He was off somewhere else. The audience were shocked and disappointed. The other members of his back up band looked at each other and didn't know what to do. It was horrendous.
  To be honest, when I met him I knew something would happen to him so I wasn't too surprised when I heard that he had drowned. I was incredibly, incredibly sad though. I couldn't handle hearing his music for years and years. Only now can I bear it. When I met him, he just seemed to glow...I have the autograph framed with the secret pass and some pictures of him. I didn't get a photo with him when I met him because they didn't let us take pictures.-@dee_laurel on IG

No comments:

Post a Comment